Monday, July 2, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes with Homemade Blueberry Nutmeg Syrup

I woke up Sunday morning realizing that I had very little in the house by way of making breakfast.  I did, however, pick up some lovely blueberries that were suddenly about half their usual price (that always gets me excited).  My husband doesn't normally like pancakes, but he does love blueberry pancakes.  So I decided to whip up a little batch of fresh blueberry syrup and some fluffy blueberry pancakes.  


I started with about a cup of regular syrup (I just use the cheap'o store brand imitation syrup for this but you can use whatever you like) and about a cup of fresh blueberries.  Put them in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add 1/4 tsp nutmeg and stir well.  Turn down the heat and let simmer 3-4 minutes then remove from the heat.  The juice from the blueberries makes the syrup a little thinner.  If that bothers you, you can add a 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch and whisk it in when you add the nutmeg to thicken it a little.




This is the basic pancake recipe I use from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.


1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar 
2 tsp baking powder


Mix these together and make a deep well in the center.


1 egg
1 cup milk


Add these into the center of the well and mix, then fold in the dry mix just until moist.  Fold in 1 cup of fresh blueberries.  Drop about 1/4 cup into a hot skillet greased with canola oil or butter.  When the edges are set and there are little air bubbles on the top, flip and continue cooking about 1 minute.  Straight to the plate and top with a little of your homemade blueberry syrup!


When I do make them, I like to make a double batch and put the leftovers in a freezer bag and freeze them.  Then I can take out one or two and heat them up for a fast snack or breakfast for the kids when I'm trying to get a few more minutes of shut-eye on the weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I fell in love with blueberries while living in Southern Maine. I have fond memories of watching our son, as a toddler, pick up one by one with his tiny fingers.
Thank you for the smile I now on my face and warmth in my heart.

Unknown said...

Awe! Thank you so much for your sweet comment!